Lead Poisoning

Lead poisoning is most common, and most damaging, in young children. Exposure to lead-based paint is the primary source of lead poisoning. The health risks posed by lead-based paint are serious, particularly in our cities and urban areas where housing stock is the oldest. For a child, even the tiniest amount of lead-based paint is potentially hazardous if it begins to peel, chip, or otherwise generate dust. Since no amount of lead is safe in the body, brief exposure can lead to disastrous results.

Damage to your child from lead paint poisoning is very serious and can be permanent. Very young children are at special risk because their brains and nervous systems are still developing. The Center for Disease Control and the State and City of New York consider a child lead poisoned if they have 10 mg/dl of lead in the bloodstream. In the metro area, there are thousands of children that have been poisoned by lead. The New York City Department of Health estimates that at least 30,000 children have blood lead levels of 10 mg/dl, or higher.

Most people associate lead paint with chips that flake off the walls of older homes. But the danger is much more prevalent, children can be exposed to lead paint on toys as well. Poisoning is most often the result of swallowing lead paint chips. However, breathing lead paint dust can also harm your child. Ingestion or exposure to even tiny amounts of lead can be damaging.

Take action against devastating, irreversible damage to your child's health, or even your own.

Adults can suffer from toxic lead paint exposure as well. Resulting illness can manifest as neurological injury, hypertension, sterility, miscarriages and impotence, as well as other devastating conditions.

Compensation for injuries in lead poisoning cases can be substantial.
Lead paint poisoning can cause:
  • Nervous system impairments
  • Kidney damage
  • Anemia
  • Attention deficit disorder
  • Learning disabilities
  • Behavioral difficulties
  • Stunted growth
  • Hearing loss
  • As well as a host of other more serious medical conditions, or even death
Lead paint poisoning is not always immediately obvious. Symptoms include:
  • Stomach pain
  • Headache
  • Poor appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Moodiness and irritability
  • Poor coordination
  • Attention deficit
  • Difficulty in reading and writing
  • Poor performance in school

If your residence was built before 1978, it's possible that lead paint was used. A simple blood test can reveal whether you or your child has lead paint poisoning. If someone has been exposed to toxic levels of lead paint, they may have a claim against their landlord.

All cases involving children require special attention and care. As with all cases we handle, you can expect the prompt, professional attention your child's matter deserves. Your questions will be thoroughly answered, and you'll get the aggressive, careful representation needed to get your child and family the greatest monetary compensation possible.

If you believe that you or a loved one may have lead paint poisoning, contact the law offices of GarberLegal today to learn more about your legal rights and options. At Garber Legal our attorneys will be more than happy to evaluate your case during a free and confidential consultation to determine the best way to pursue your claims while protecting and maximizing your legal interests.

CLICK HERE TO EVALUATE YOUR CASE
60 Madison Ave - Suite 1005, New York, NY 10010
Between 26th & 27th Street
(212) 779.2740Fax: (212) 779-2748